The new Cabinet Secretary for the Education is set up for tough times ahead as he prepares to take over from Professor George Magoha, who served in the Uhuru Kenyatta Cabinet after Fred Matiang’i and Amina Mohammed respectively.
The Cabinet Secretary is set to undertake difficult tasks including assessing and pushing forward of the Competency Based Curriculum (CBC) and restoring national examination credibility by reducing irregularities to less than 1%, as Fred Matiang’i did.
In a report on 14th September 2022, President William Ruto set up a taskforce that was to evaluate the effectiveness of the CBC following the complaint by Kenyan parents that the new curriculum was cost intensive with no promising future for the young generation.
Mr. Ezekiel got luckily nominated for education CS position after bitterly losing to Kisii County Governor Simba Arati on August 9th, with a margin of more than 120,000 votes.
Is the new Cabinet secretary for Education up to the task? Below are his academic qualifications, and work experience. (Mini-biography)
Ezekiel Machogu Education background/Academic Qualifications
- Bachelor of Arts – University of Nairobi, 1976-1979.
- A – Level Certificate – Agoro Sare High School, 1974-1975.
- O – Level Certificate – Nduru High School, 1970-1973.
Professional Experience/Employment History.
Mr. Ezekiel Machogu has a 46-year work experience. Below is the breakdown.
- MP for Nyaribari Masaba Constituency, 2017-2022.
- Senior Deputy Secretary of the Public Service Commission (PSC), 2008-2016.
- District Commissioner (Office of the President) 1989-2008.
- District Officer (Office of the President) 1976-1979.
Also Read: Profile: Mohammed Amin, the new DCI boss.
Committee Membership Background
- Member of the Committee on Regional Integration in 2017.
- Member of Members, Services and Facilities Committee in 2017.
Born On January 1st 1956. In the year 2022, he turned 66 years old.