Medical Laboratory Science is a medical specialty that deals with the analysis of bodily fluids and tissues. It is a laboratory-based field which requires the use of laboratory equipment and techniques to analyze bodily fluids, diagnose diseases, and monitor biological functions.
These course in Kenya has been or the rise for quite some time now. The number of people who are opting for this profession has been increasing steadily over the years. This article will explore everything you need to know about Medical laboratory course.
Before enrolling for the course, check out all the requirements. For you to become a licensed technician, you must meet these requirements.
1. Be a holder of Bachelor’s degree in relevant field from recognized institution.
2. Registered by KMLLTB board.
3. Two years post experience working in clinical laboratory.
The program will take 18 months to three years of study. Learners are required to submit thesis project. Several field researches are also conducted.
1) KCSE Mean grade of atleast C plus and above.
2) Atleast C+ and above in Mathematics and English or Kiswahili.
3) Atleast C+ and above in Biology and Chemistry.
1) KACE Certificate with a principal pass in Biology and subsidiary pass in Chemistry or Mathematics.
1) Diploma in the course with atleast a pass or credit from a recognized institution.
2) Be registered and licenced by KMLLTB board as a laboratory technician.
Study period is four academic years. The student will have two attachments before graduating. Semesters vary from one campus to another.
1) Mean grade of C plain in KCSE.
2) C plain in Mathematics and English or Kiswahili.
3) C plain in Biology and Chemistry.
– Certificate in Medical Laboratory Science from recognized institution.
Registered by KMLLTB as a technician.
– Two years of working experience as a laboratory technician.
It will take a period of three years to complete the course. The years are distributed to classroom hours, laboratory hours and clinical rotations hours.
Universities Offering The Course
- Kenyatta University Main campus
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
- University of Nairobi
- Kenya Methodist University
- Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology.
Where To Study Diploma
>Kenya Medical Training Institute
>Mt Kenya University
Before graduating, you should complete all the units taught. It is a must to have a certain class attendance percentage. Those with previous academic knowledge in the course, can apply for units waiver.
Below are some of the units covered:
Program Learning Outcomes
When the study period is over, you should be able to:
Perform scientific laboratory researches.
Carry out clinical diagnosis of human diseases.
Select and use well of laboratories apparatus.
The course offers a wide range of opportunities to get a career from. You can consider to choose from the many varieties. You can become a clinical laboratory technician or work in other firms. These firms include:
Pharmaceutical companies e.g. KEMRI
Educational Institutions as a tutor.
Agro – based Industries.
As long as you have the KMLLTB licence, you will not lack employment.
Medical Laboratory Science is a great course in Kenya. It is one of the lucrative medical courses. Moreover, many accredited Institutions offers the program.