In 1994, Jeff launched his e-commerce store that took the world by a landslide. Next to the internet, Amazon is among the most ingenious creations ever made on the planet. To date, Amazon is the first choice for many business owners or simple customers who want to purchase a product that is either unavailable, overpriced or of subpar quality in Kenya. One reason or the other, here you are, looking for an answer to how to shop on amazon and ship the products to Kenya. This article will give you precise details on how to create an account and have them delivered straight to your doorstep.
Create an Amazon account
Creating an Amazon account is a very simple process. However, there are a few facts you need to get straight before you continue reading this post.
- There are 2 versions of Amazon i.e., amazon.uk and amazon.com, where the former requires payments to be made in British Pounds (£) while the latter, in dollars ($). Both sites, however, are under the same organization and functionality is, therefore, similar.
- Some products cannot be shipped to Kenya. – Due to policies that have been set by the Kenyan government, some products cannot be shipped into Kenya. you shouldn’t worry about this as over 95% of products are available to Kenyan customers.
- To complete a transaction, you will have to convert Kenyan currency to USD or British Pounds. You will therefore need a currency converter, that is readily available on google.
Now that you have understood the above key points, navigate to amazon.com or amazon.uk. If you already have an account, you will be automatically signed in. Otherwise, on the top right corner of your pc or your android menu, select ‘sign in’ or ‘create a new account’.
This process is straightforward. We recommend that you use your Gmail account to automatically sign in to your account. This will also help protect your password or prevent you from forgetting it.
How to make an order on Amazon
Now that you have your account ready, your next step is to make an order and have it shipped to Kenya. To do so, type your preferred product name in the search box at the top of your screen and search.
You will be presented with a list of different products from different sellers. Scroll through until you find what you want. Take note that some products may be marked ‘Out of Stock’ while others are ‘Available through Invitation’. To avoid confusion and order delays, choose products that are marked ‘In Stock’.
After selecting your product, click on ‘Add to Cart’ or ‘Buy Now’. Enter your delivery address and proceed to enter your payment method. Amazon offers a range of payment options that include:
- Credit/Debit card
The M-Pesa payment option is not available at the moment.
Note that the total amount you were to spend on your product will increase due to shipping & handling fees, Value Added Tax (VAT) and import fees deposit. For instance, HP Newest Flagship 15.6 HD, has a retail price of around $649 but after the additional fees, you will need to pay a total of $847.90.
How to ship from Amazon to Kenya
In your purchase, you may realize that some vendors don’t ship outside the US or UK. It will be your responsibility to look for an address in the US or UK that will enable you to transport the products to Kenya. This alone, will raise the total price and may lead you to abandon your purchase. However, we’ve got you covered.
Necessity leads to invention. That’s right! Many companies in Kenya have risen to fill the transport gap by providing shipment solutions in situations where the vendor can’t. Such companies include:
- Savostore – This is one of the leading amazon shipping solutions in Kenya. Contact: +254709524000
- Kentex Cargo – Visit their website. Contact: +254-709443000
- Air Cargo Global – Contact: +254 722 355 378
- States Duka – Contact: (+254) 72 220 9048
- Vitumob – Contact: 0717363433 / 0780363433 / 0742363433 etc.
- FedEx – Third-party Amazon shipment choice
- DHL– Third-party Amazon shipment choice
- UPS – Third-party Amazon shipment choice
Important to note: – Third-party Amazon shipment choices are usually more expensive than the first five Kenyan options listed above.
What kinds of services do these Amazon shipping agencies offer?
Shipping Only Service
Here, you will do the purchase yourself and in the checkout section in Amazon, you will use their US or UK address instead of yours. They will then deliver your product to Kenya by air or sea.
Assisted Purchase Option
In this case, the shipping agency will take care of the entire purchase and shipment process. All you need to do is contact them and give them the details of exactly what you need. You will have to pay them the total amount that you were to use for purchase plus an additional shipment fee.
To understand how the shipment fee will arise, most agencies calculate the volume of the shipment and then divide the value by 306. The result is then multiplied by $15. Here is the formula:
Common products that our customers ship from Amazon to Kenya
The majority of Kenyans use amazon to purchase electronics. However, other products commonly bought include:
- Construction material
Best Tips for Shopping on Amazon
- Use Amazon Prime: If you’re a frequent Amazon shopper, Amazon Prime offers many benefits, including free two-day shipping, early access to deals, and more. Amazon Prime is a premium subscription that grants you a two-day free shipping package, exclusive deals, discounts and more. This subscription is renewable monthly.
- Compare Prices: Different retailers will try to get the best out of their Amazon stores by setting different prices on products. It’s up to you to look for the cheapest but the best deal on Amazon.
- Check product reviews: One way of quickly knowing whether a product is of high quality is by reading through the reviews. You will get insight from individuals who have already ordered and used the item.
- Use Amazon Coupons: Coupons will enable you to receive competitive discounts on purchases you make on Amazon.
- Use Amazon’s Wishlist: This feature makes sure that you can track the prices of your most desired products. Amazon will then email you when the price drops.
- Take advantage of Amazon’s return policy: Amazon’s return policy is very generous, so if you’re not satisfied with a product, you can easily return it for a full refund. However, note that Amazon will review your reason for returning the product. Make sure you don’t violate their policies.
- Shop for used items: These products are a good alternative especially if you don’t have enough to buy new products. Read through the reviews to ensure the retailer sells quality second-hand items.
As simple as an Amazon purchase can be, it is important to take note of everything listed above. Visit the different shipment agencies to discover which one will work for you. Any links to them do not earn us any revenue at all. Happy shipping!