As a business and finance writer, I bring the unique advantage of evaluating a range of investment opportunities, conducting a thorough analysis, and presenting you with well-informed recommendations on which investments to pursue and which to steer clear of. With a plethora of investment platforms available, it can be challenging to make the right choice. In today’s article, I’ll be introducing you to Safaricom SACCO, including how to become a member and the advantages of being a part of the SACCO.
What is Safaricom SACCO?
Simply put, it’s a Savings and Credit Cooperative organization that enables members to save their money while enjoying exclusive benefits from the company. By joining the Safaricom SACCO, you and other members have the opportunity to pool your funds, allowing the SACCO to make secure investments and earn you higher interest and dividends compared to a traditional savings account.
What are the criteria for membership?
Registering as a member of Safaricom SACCO will take you less than 10 minutes and your membership will be approved within the hour of your application. However, you should keep in mind that you ought to have attained the minimum requirements needed by the organization.
Below is the list of requirements you need for a successful registration.
- You should be an adult of 18 years or older. In the application process described shortly, you will need to upload a PDF or JPG image of your National Identity Card.
- You should be a Kenyan citizen
- You should be a registered taxpayer in Kenya. More about registering for KRA here.
- At least KES44,000 is required for registration and minimum investment requirements. Here is the breakdown; KES3,000 minimum monthly contribution, KES1,000 registration fee and minimum share capital of KES40,000.
With that out of the way, let’s discuss how to register for Safaricom SACCO membership.
How to join Safaricom SACCO
- Navigate to the Safaricom SACCO website on your personal computer. Using a smartphone is not supported.
- On the top right corner of the page, click on ‘Join Us’ and proceed to the following page.
- You will be directed to a registration page where you will fill in personal details and upload relevant documents that include:
- ID Number and JPG/PDF image upload
- KRA PIN and Certificate upload
- Passport-sized image of your face
- Postal code
- Mobile Number
- Email Address
- Click ‘Next’ at the bottom of the page. Make sure you have filled in your details accurately.
- You will be directed to a ‘Remittance’ page. Here, you will fill in details about your employment status, employer, monthly deposit and monthly share capital.
- Click ‘Validate’.
- On the next page, choose your preferred payment method and enter the reference code you’ll be sent upon successful payment.
- On your screen, you will receive a confirmation stating “Success! Your Safaricom SACCO registration has been received and will be actioned shortly.”
- Check your text messages and email for more information.
Walk to the nearest Safaricom Sacco office and do a physical registration. Make sure to carry all the required documents listed above.
What are the benefits of being a member of Safaricom SACCO?
Now that you’ve understood how to register, you may ask yourself, “What do I stand to gain by joining the SACCO?”
Here are the benefits:
- Access to loans with competitive interest rates that may not be provided by traditional banks.
- Savings options – Members can choose to save their profits/dividends and get favourable interest rates.
- Insurance coverage
- Dividends and rebates that are deposited in members’ accounts at the end of every February.
- Financial education – Safaricom SACCO offers financial literacy training and education material for its members.
- Networking opportunities – You will have the chance to build business and social relationships with other members of the SACCO. This may go a long way in boosting your journey to financial success.
Savings and loan options available to Safaricom SACCO members
Savings and loan Options may vary. Visit their website for the latest information;
|Savings Options||Interest Rates|
|Jaza Jaza FOSA Account||Variable|
|Corporate Account FOSA||Variable|
|Savings & Salaries Account||Variable|
|Juniors Account FOSA||Variable|
|Holiday Account FOSA||Variable|
|Back Office Service Activity (BOSA)||Variable|
|Loan Options||Interest Rates|
|Emergency Loan FOSA||Variable|
|Insurance Premium Finance loan FOSA||Variable|
|Business Loan FOSA||Variable|
|Back Office Service Activity (BOSA)||Variable|
Is Safaricom SACCO registered by SASRA
Safaricom SACCO is registered by the SACCO Societies Regulatory Authority (SASRA) in Kenya. SASRA is the regulatory body responsible for supervising and regulating SACCOs in Kenya to ensure that they operate within the law and in the best interests of their members. By registering with SASRA, Safaricom SACCO can offer finances to its members and provide a safe and secure environment for their savings and investments.
Choosing to join Safaricom SACCO is a wise decision as long as you have a good financial strategy in mind. If you are still looking for other investment avenues, consider visiting our investment page here.